Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The New Adventure Begins...

Now comes the time, where investing my love also means investing my life.  (Mumford and Sons is my absolute favorite, fyi.)
Becoming a foster parent is a desire I have had for a couple of  years now.  I never knew how it would work for me exactly, but knew that someday I wanted to do this.  Last year I bought a house, with two extra bedrooms.  I don't need all of that room!  I also switched jobs, to one with more stable hours that I have control over.  But it still was not time, as my season of grief was still very intense.  The season of grief lifted in June.  Grief is still always with me, but it is different now.  I gave myself the summer for self care, and that it was!
So in September, the foster care journey began.  I work in the field, so I was aware of how it goes.  The agency I worked with is wonderful, my licensing worker is fabulous, so licensing has been pretty straightforward.  Keep in mind that there is just me to get all of the information on, not a household of people.
Two weeks ago I got an email saying we are almost complete with your homestudy, and oh wait, there is a potential placement.  I gasped and thought about it, prayed out loud, and said let me know more.  Sure, this is soon, but I didn't sign up for this to say NO.  If the timing is right, it will work out.  Slowly more information was shared with me.  The placement is for two boys, who are 3 and 9.  They are moving from a relative placement for reasons not related to the boys behaviors (whew!).
The past week was a flurry of preparing my house, lifestyle, and heart for this.  I am amazed by the supportive community around me who is welcoming these boys so well.  Today I checked the state's website, and sure enough, I am now listed as a licensed foster parent!  Hoping and praying that today means MOVE day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment