Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Snow

Beautiful, wonderful., cleansing SNOW.  I love a good snow storm, just one per winter is all that I need.  Cuddling inside, everyone staying home and enjoying it, cancelled plans without guilt:)  I think it is the reality that hey!  we don't control every part of our life that appeals to me so much.  Slow down.  I need that reminder.
Yesterday the oldest had a snow day.  It was not the kind of snow day that shuts things down, sadly.  So I went off to work and thankfully daycare was open.  However, that was his second full day there, as he had MLK day off too.  Confession:  I also had MLK day off.  My plan for the day, however, was both boys spend all day at daycare, I go to buy groceries alone,  see Les Mis, get a massage, and get my haircut.  I didn't have time for the movie, but got the rest done!  Lovely.  Anyway, back to the kids.  The oldest was a little whiny last night, antsy.  He said he got a little bored at daycare.  Understandable, they did not get to play outside or go on any field trips like he did over Christmas break.
Work said the weather would be the same today, so I could work from home.  School was on, so the little one and I stayed in all day.   I cranked out some work, he played delightfully well with me overseeing, he took a 3 hour nap and I got more work done. And snuck in mopping the floor too.
This is quite an unorganized post, I just wanted to comment on my struggles to find the balance for self care.  Going from living alone, with my schedule being completely my own to now having to be home every.single.night, arrange for sitters, etc. is quite a shock. I value my alone time deeply, and also my social time.  Thankfully many of my friends have kids and so we can be together with the kids.  My little guys do wonderful in social settings (90 % of the time!) so that need of mine is met.  Its all about the balance too.  Last week Saturday my brother and sister in law babysat and I met friends for dinner.  It was wonderful: huge peach flavored margarita, an actual waitress, and so much laughter and fun along with real conversation and connection.  Last Friday my mom and her husband babysat.  I worked late (how fun!), did some shopping, and saw a movie with my sister.  Balance, balance, the ever elusive quest for it.  I think I'm learning too that if this is something I struggled with in my single, childless life -- I will struggle with it in my parenting life too.
One day at a time.  For today, I am content.  My hair is wet, as we were spontaneous and went swimming on a school night.  I am caught up on work, or at least in a caught up enough state.  I have peace that this is what I am supposed to be doing, right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment